Thursday, January 26, 2006

Pride and Predjudice

I had no idea that Pride and Predjudice was such a beautiful love story. I know I read it when I was younger, but I guess I must've forgotten the story.
I found it so intriguing when Elizabeth found herself so repelled but yet so attracted to the one man, she knew she could never have. She loathed him, yet she yearned for him at the same time. Classes were such a hateful thing at the turn of the century especially in England. I can't imagine how difficult life must've been for the people born in a lower class. Especially the women. I think of how lucky I am to have been born when I was. Women have treaded down such a long and gruesome trail of inequality, and despair. It makes my heart wrench at the very thought of it. It's hard to believe that there was a time when women were at the mercy of their suitors. They had to accept a life of no love for the sake of their survival, worse yet, their family's survival.
However, there were those that were lucky, and found true love. Tonight, made me think of the honey. It made me realize how lucky I am to have him, yet we're so mutually stubborn, and born of sharp tongues, that sometimes I just have to throw my arms up in submission. Yet I chose this. This is mine to keep. This is mine to do what I please with. This is not a life that I was born into and forced to live. This is my choice. My choice. What a wonderful concept. A woman's right to choose. To choose to love or hate, to keep or to destroy. Although I couldn't bring myself to do the latter. The freedom of that concept alone is enough to make me cry. I don't know why really. I guess that movie made me think of present day values and customs. How so many women I have seen are so helplessly and stupidly arrogant with themselves. If they only knew the hardships and the predjudice we have endured, maybe their eyes would flicker open and the fog would clear. Maybe they would have more pride then to throw themselves away with contempt and poor self image. Then there are those, that I so look up to, the ones that value themselves and are pillars of strength in my life. Like my mother, my sister. These are two strong women. Two women that remind me to be proud, no matter what company I keep or whatever circumstances I find myself in. They helped form that little voice that reminds me of right and wrong. They showed me what it meant to be a woman.

No comments: